Steps to Making Chocolate at Home.


Please NOTE THAT this page is VERY FAR from completed, I will add more Information, more Videos and more Photos as I am building it up.



First things First, you must buy some equipment and Materiel to do this.

* * * * * * *

This is the minimum equipment that you will need to make chocolate in your own Kitchen. The price I paid was the price at the time that I bought them, the price today might be more or less.

The most important thing that you can not do without will be a Wet Grinder something like the one I bought and some molds and a Kitchen Scale. The rest is up to you to decide if you want to get more into it.

Kitchen Scale = 39 $ very nice little scale that woks like a charm.

WET GRINDER = Cost me 339.41 $

4 Small Molds (1.8 oz) 79.96 $ With taxes and transport. Those are small but of Very Good Quality.

6 Medium Molds (2.6 oz) 121 $ Those are of Ecellent Quality, they are by far my favorite.

4 Large Molds (4 oz) 133 $ I bought those from Chocolate Alchemy. They are NOT professional Molds as he pretends them to be and they are NOT RIGID as advertised, ya, sure, they are rigid like Halloween Mask, he screwed me with that one, not to say F_ _ _, and I won't give him a chance to do that again. He says on his website..."This mold comes Professional grade, are rigid and should last for years." THIS IS BULL SHIT. The plastic is very thin and bends easily, so they are very hard to work with, and you can't hold them with one hand when they are filled with hot chocolate. I don't recommend you to buy those, you will be very disappointed if you do. I would not buy them again, that's for sure. Now his website say that he is SOLD OUT of those mold, well I think that he just realized that they where not so professional grade after all and he stopped selling them. Those Cheap molds from Chocolate Alchemy are cold pressed, the cheapest mold you can find on the market, they are not meant to last, but the other molds I have above are Injection Hard Poly-carbonate Chocolate Mold, and they are the best quality you can get and they will last for ever.

You will also need an infrared thermometer to do a better job when Tempering the chocolate. Or use a cheaper one with a dipper or a probe, but prepare to make a mess. The one I bought is EXCELLENT and works very, very well.

REED Instruments PE-01 Infrared Thermometer = 89.89 $ with transport.

You will probably get tired of splitting the beans one by one with your finger nails so you will need a Champion Juicer to break the Beans. It does an excellent Job because the beans comes out pretty much of the same small size that is more easily workable with a winnowing machine or with my Slewing Board Technique. On top of that the Juicer does not turn them into dust too much. If the NIBS are of many different size it is more difficult to separate the shells or Husk from the NIBS and no mater what system you will use to separate them.

Champion Juicer G5-PG710 = 482.95 CDN $ with tax and free transport.

* * * * * * *


All in Canadian Dollars.

Kitchen Scale = 39 $

WET GRINDER = Cost me 339.41 $

4 Small Molds (1.8 oz) 79.96 $

6 Medium Molds (2.6 oz) 121 $

4 Large Molds (4 oz) 133 $

REED Instruments PE-01 Infrared Thermometer = 89.89 $

Champion Juicer G5-PG710 = 482.95 $

TOTAL= 1,285.21 $

Nothing comes cheep, but this is a minimum investment that you will have to do if you want to make Chocolate at Home. If you don't want to buy all that stuff, you can always buy my Chocolate Bars. See my page of How to Sample My Chocolate Bars to get some samples. See it down at the end of the page what I have available right now.



Then you have to buy the Materiel you will need to make chocolate, and that includes, BEANS, COCO BUTTER, SUGAR.

Criollo Raw Cocoa BEANS 5 k = 79.25 $


It is best to buy them Fermented and raw, meaning not roasted or processed in any way or form. It is cheaper just to buy the beans raw then to buy chocolate paste or NIBS already separated, those are very expensive.

My Supplier is OM-FOODS they also like to be called (Organic Matters) they are in Nelson B.C. Canada but they only sell one kind of Beans, Criollo, they are the best as for taste goes but I wish I could find another Canadian Supplier of other varieties of cocoa Beans.

COCOA BUTTER 5lb= 70 $


Well I buy that at the Bulk Barn in Victoria and it is expensive enough, I just bought 1,773 grams and it cost me 27 $ so it cost 1.52 per 100 grams.

I could use ordinary white cane sugar that cost much less but I want the best materiel in my chocolate and nothing else will do.

There is other re-sellers in Canada that sells Cocoa Beans and Butter but they are more expensive and there is lots of Suppliers and Sellers in USA but you will have to pay for the change from US$ to CD$ and sometime pay for Duty fees.



Know that I WILL NEVER USE Lecithin or any other chemicals in my Chocolate Recipe, I want to keep them PURE of any Artificial Colorant, or Artificial Taste or Preservatives. In MY Recipe, what you see is what you get and Nothing else.

In confectionery, Lecithin reduces viscosity, replaces more expensive ingredients, controls sugar crystallization and the flow properties of Chocolate, helps in the homogeneous mixing of ingredients, improves shelf life for some products, and can be used as a coating.


Research suggests soy-derived lecithin has significant effects on lowering serum cholesterol and triglycerides, while increasing HDL ("good cholesterol") levels in the blood of rats.[31][32] However, a growing body of evidence indicates lecithin is converted by gut bacteria into trimethylamine-N-oxide (TMAO), which is absorbed by the gut and may with time contribute to atherosclerosis and heart attacks. Thanks, but NO Thanks.


Here Are The Sep by Step to Take To Go From Beans To Bars.


Grading the Beaans

This is very important Step that you must not skip. Some suppliers do it in a partial way, but I do it again just before roasting them. I use this pan because it is dark and it gives a good contrast to the Beans and it is easier to see them. I extract the ones that are very small and flats and any that have a hole in them, if there is a hole there could be a bug hiding in it, and any other Beans that might look weird or suspicious. If there is some white on them it could be bird dung or mold, either way you would not want that in your batch so watch out for white on the beans and trow them out. Also the ones that are broken in half or that the shells is partially off, you don't want those either.



Before roasting the Beans you will find that they smell like Vinegar, and that's normal, it is because they where fermented, and this Vinegar smell will go away after you will have roasted your Beans.

Roasting can be done with a Coffee roaster that has a drum that turns and you can program the time and the temperature that you want to do your Roast, this would be Luxury, and I might get one, one of these days, or you cans Roast the Beans in your own Kitchen Oven. To roast the Beans they temperature has to be over 250ºF but you want to start them at a higher temperature then that.

Roasting the beans-1 I use the middle rack with a Pyrex Glass oven pan with high sides. To roast them preheat your oven at between 400ºF to 450ºF depending on your oven this can vary. Then spread the Beans in the Pyrex pan evenly but don't put too much in, you want just one row of thickness of the beans so that they all get the same heat at the same time.

Roasting the Beans-2 Put them in the oven and close the door, the first time for 5 minutes

Roasting the Beans-3 Then use two spatula to turn the beans over, and turn the oven down at 250ºF or 300ºF for the reminder of the roasting, leave the beans again for another 5 minutes. After the second 5 minutes turn them again and then leave them in the oven for 7 minutes, and then turn them again and crank up the Oven back at 450 and leave them for another 7 minutes or until you hear them start to pop, then you know they are well roasted, so take them out and go to the next step.


5 min at 450ºF and Turn the beans.

Lower the oven at 300ºF for the remaining time.

5 minutes and Turn the beans.

7 minutes and turn the beans.

Back at 450º F for the last 7 minutes and when you hear them POP they are done even if the 7 minute is not done.



Roasting the Beans-4 So now take them out and spread the Beans on a cold surface and let them cool down for 30 minutes. Some people use a fan to cool them but this is not necessary, unless you are in a hurry to pass to the next step.

Of course How you do the Roasting all depends on the Beans you are using, and your oven and what you want to do with the flavor, so experiment with the roasting all you want, but when you hear the Beans starting to POP like Pop-corn, you will know that the Roasting is done so sometime I finish the last 5 minutes back to 450 or until I hear them starting to Pop and then I remove them from the oven.


For that purpose I use my Champion Juicer, without any screens it does an excellent job to brake them down to reasonable small even sizes, and it does not turn them to dust too much.



This is an extra process that I must do if I want my Bonneauwing Board to be more effectife, if I don't remove the Dust it sits on the Kitchen Cloth and then everything goes down, the Shells won't stick to the Kitchen Cloth if there is Dust on it. I believe that even with a Winnowing Machine that they should extract the dust before processing the Materiel in their Winnowing Machine.

Not to collect it is sending dust of Nibs go to waist if it can be strained out and processed later.

Here to do this I use a regular kitchen Strainer and pass all the materiel to remove all the dust from it, and I keep the dust separated in another container to be processed later with a smaller strainer to remove the shells from the dust because I believe that the shells don't turn into dust only the solids in the Beans turn to dust, the shells are very hard to reduce to small size and even less to dust.

The weight of the dust tells me that it is mostly cacao then Shells, if it was mostly shells the dust would be much lighter then that, so after passing the dust in the smaller strainer a trow out what ever remains and keep the dust to be used in the next batch as good cacao (NIBS) materiel.



This is another extra step that I must take to make my Bonneauwing Board more efficient. It is mostly to remove the large Shells because if the shells are too big they will roll down with the Nibs on the Board as you will see in the videos later in the process. After extracting the larger Materiel with a larger screen I pass that Materiel in the Blender just for a few seconds and it is enough to reduce it to a smaller size like the rest of the Materiel and I pass what I juste put in the blender again in the large strainer and what ever does not pass true I use a Spice crusher to reduce them. Even then some of the Shells don't reduce and they are easy to extract and trow them out because at that point all the Nibs are reduced and only Big Shells remains.



I call it that since that I invented this procedure, I suppose that it is my Wright to name it.

I had been looking for a new way to separate the husk from the Nibs and one morning I woke up thinking of how gold miners extract gold dust and particles from the sand by Slewing. The sand flows down with water and the Slewing machine vibrates and small gold particles are heavier then the sand so they tend to go down into the collecting mesh of the Slewing machine. So vibration and gravity makes it happen, but I was thinking, I can't use water so only gravity and vibration could do the trick. I tried it on a small piece of cardboard and it worked, so I installed my video camera and I did it a second time, and this is this video that I took then the 18 of October 2018



I am in an apartment and I don't want to disturb my neighbors so I had to find a quieter and cheaper way to separate the shells or Husk from the NIBS.
I use a piece of cardboard to hold a Kitchen towel that I clip of with some clips all around it. I put some NIBS and Shells on the top and I slant the board of about 5 degrees shaking it in all directions, and the shells stick to the Kitchen towel and the NIBS easily roll down to the empty pan at the bottom.


Constructing the Bonneauwing Board.

Bonneauwing Board-1 First cut a piece of cardboard about 15" by 22 " and then lift the sides and the back of about one inch and a half. (1" 1/2")

Bonneauwing Board-2 Turn it over and glue a second backing of the remaining dimensions. The sides don't have to be re-enforced but the back yes otherwise it will curve in and bent too easily.

Bonneauwing Board-3 Then install a Kitchen Towel and clip it on all sides with small clips, or if you find a better way to do this, good for you, but you want to be able to remove the Kitchen Towel to clean it from time to time.

Bonneauwing Board-4 I put about 2 to 3 handful of mixed Nibs and Husk on the top and I shake the board in an angle and sometime from side to side or up and down like on the video till all the nibs are down, then I remove the husk left on the Kitchen Towel simply by lowering it over a garbage can and giving the board a few nips with one finger and they all come off. And I start over again replacing all the materiel from the pan back on the top of the board. I repeat this operation 3 to 4 times or until all the husk are removed and that I am left only with the Nibs in the pan. It might take a little longer then a winnowing machine using a vacuum cleaner, but it is quiet, does not make any dust, and there is a 0 % loss of NIBS. It could not get any better then this. A working model for a bigger production would have to be longer then this with a vibrating table and a vacuum to remove the husk off the down ramp before another bunch passes trough. So it could not be continuing, but I don't worry about that. If they want to make an application of my idea for an industry, they can go ahead and scratch their head on it. For my own use, it does not have to be any bigger then that.

See the other video below with my working model.

You could also buy a Winnowing machine but I am not sure that it does such a good job as my Bonneauwing Board because the Vacuum can not discriminate between small NIBS and big Husk if they have the same weight they are all sucked out and you also loose the fine dust particles. I remove the dust before I use my Bonneauwing Board because the Dust tends to clogs the cloth and it does not do a good job if the bottom of the Cloth is full of dust, because in this case everything slides down. I keep the Dust aside until I find a way to separate the small shell particles from the Dust.

With a winnowing machine you loose about 25 % of the NIBS and with my Slewing Board I loose 0 %. I don't loose the dust either because I collect it before I pass the NIBS on the Bonneauwing Board and I don't loose any NIBS either because I keep passing them on the Board until all the shells are out and gone.






In this Video I experiment more with the Bonneauwing Board to try to find the best way to work it so that it will be more efficient. I realized that since the nibs go down first I remove them just before that the shells start to go down, so it makes less materiel left on the Board to work with. Also a zig zag pattern as the Materiel goes down the Board helps to cover more surface giving more chances for the Shells to stick to the Kitchen Towel. I will build a bigger and longer BOARD with a flat bottom and see how it goes. I build this one 15" by 22" only because I was limited by the size of my Kitchen Towel.


Experimenting for THE FUTURE.


In this video I Experiment more and I show the extra steps I must take to be more effective with the Bonneauwing Board, so after I passed the Beans trough the Champion Juicer there is Dust particles and I must remove them because they clog the Kitchen Cloth on the Bonneauwing Board and if there is Dust the Shells won't stick to the Cloth as well. I also screen out the large Husk and large Nibs and I pass them in the blender to reduce their sizes, if everything is smaller and with comparative size, no dust and no big Husk or Nibs, this system works perfectly. I also suggest a way to crank up production or Industrialize it using this Method. I now know why there was more dust this time around because when I passed the Beans in the Champion Juicer, I DID NOT FORCED THEM TROUGH so they had more time to turn into dust. The last time I forced the Beans trough and there was much less dust produced by the Juicer.
This is the way of the Future, because I THINK THAT I JUST KILLED THE WINNOWING INDUSTRY, or rather, I improved a lot on it.

So set aside your noisy Winnowing machines with your vacuums, here comes the New wave of the Future, the Bonneauwing Systems.

Bonneauwing Board Assembly



WINNOWING is the Past, check out this video to see the FUTURE of Shells separation from the NIBS. For the Bonneauwing System to be effective, you have to screen out the dust particles first with a Strainer, and also limit the big size shells and Nibs by separating them with a larger screen and crushing them to smaller sizes. When the NIBS and the SHELLS are of all aproximative small size, then this system woks like a DREAM. If I had someone depositing the Materiel gradually on the board instead of putting it all on the top like I do, it would demonstrate better how this System would work.



Photo-Refining the Nibs-1 This is the NIBS before being refined to be able to work them in the Wet Grinder. I prefer to bring them as small as I can to save time for the Wet Grinder to do a better job and faster. It is easier to start the Batch in the Wet Grinder when everything is refined.

Photo-Refining the Nibs-2 I pass them in the blender but not for too long because the NIBS will start to soften and start to cling together and make a paste because the fat will start to come out if you work them too much, you just want to reduce them a bit, so be careful not to over do it in the Blender. I also refine the sugar because the Coco Palm Sugar is quite coarse and I also refine any nuts that I want to put in the chocolate if I want my chocolate bars to be smooth.



Photo-Next batch Preparation For this example I used the Materiel for my next Batch #5

After figuring out all the amount that I want to use in my next recipe I weight all the different Materiel's and put them aside for the day of the Batch. Just before I make the batch I mix together the SUGAR and the POWDER MILK because the Powder Milk is very volatile and tends to want to fly away from the Wet Grinder when you put it in. Try it by itself and you will see what I mean.

The proper Order to put all the ingredients in the Wet Grinder is also very important. First you must melt the Cocoa Butter at about 250ºF but don't put it all in the Grinder at one time or it's going to splash all over.

The very first thing you do when your butter is melted and that you have all your ingredient ready to go beside the Wet Grinder, you must FIRST warm up the stones in the grinder, it will help to get the Batch warmed up faster.

For that I use a Hair Dryer at maximum and aimed directly into the grinder (See The VIDEO Below) until the rollers and the bottom slab of granite are well warmed up to 100ºF, and that does not take very long, just a couple of minutes.

My set-up is Ready for the next Batch. All my ingredients are Ready and the Wet Grinder is in the Quiet Box. When I start the Batch I leave the cover off while I put all the ingredients in and also for the first two hours so that the chocolate can aerate better, after I will put the cover on the Grinder and put the cover on the Quiet Box as well and forget about it and check it from time to time, to check the temperature inside the grinder and taste the Chocolate. This is the part I like the most, to taste the evolution of the smoothness and flavor developing in the Chocolate as more time passes by. Don't worry I super clean and dry the Spatula every time I taste it. On this photo you see my Video Camera Tripod because I want to take a Video of how to start a Batch and to show the right order to put the ingredients in the Wet Grinder.



Then you can start the Wet Grinder and to pour in 1/3 of the melted Cocoa Butter, about 100 to 150 grams will do to get it started. Then you put in about half or 1/3 of the NIBS slowly, just a little at a time to give it time to get absorbed and turned to paste and then to liquid by the grinder then you warm up the batch again with the Hair Dryer when you feel that the batch is cooling off, and then add another 1/3 of the melted hot cocoa butter, and then then another 1/3 of the NIBS and again keep the batch warm with the Hair Dryer. You only need to use the Hair Dryer until all the ingredients are in the grinder. Then pour in the rest of the NIBS and warm it up again with the Hair Dryer. The batch will warm itself up just by Friction after that almost all of the Materials will be in the Grinder.

After the NIBS are all in start adding all the Zest or other spices or scents you want to use in your recipe. But never ever put any liquid in the batch. No Liquids means NO Syrup, NO Honey No artificial Liquid flavors like Concentrated Vanilla. If you want to put in Vanilla find some Vanilla Beans and dry them in your oven before you put them in the Chocolate.

Then start adding some sugar, again very slowly and when you feel the batch is getting cool again, warm it up with the Hair Dryer a bit, and continue to add the sugar. When you get to be half way of putting the sugar in the Wet Grinder, mix the rest of the sugar with all the Milk Powder, so that the Powder will adhere to the sugar and wont be so volatile and fly off into the sunset.

Don't forget to keep the batch warm from time to time with the Hair Dryer. Then continue adding the Sugar Powdered Milk mix till it's all in and then ad the rest of the melted Cocoa Butter.

Continuously check the temperature of the batch, if it is over 110ºF and that it is still going up, then you are done warming it up with the Hair Dryer, the batch will sustain it's own heat by friction from now on.

Leave the cover off for the first two hours to let the humidity out of the Batch, otherwise you might have condensation forming under the cover that could fall into the batch. You want to wait till most of the humidity is out before you put the cover on, so two to three hours should do the trick.

After that put the cover on and monitor the grinder from time to time and check to see if the temperature is constant.

In the grinder with the cover on the temperature should stay between 111ºF to 114.5ºF and mine when it's in the QUIET BOX the temperature in the grinder goes up to 118.5ºF and is stable at that temperature for hours and hours.

My QUIET BOX lets me enjoy my T.V. and other things while it's running even if it's just a couple of feet from me, because I don't have a house and I can't put it in a bedroom and just close the door, I wish I could, but with the QUIET BOX the noise is down to a cat snoring noise and it is even relaxing to hear. Without the QUIET BOX the noise is unbearable and it drives me nuts.






5-ZEST or other spices. (NEVER ANY LIQUIDS)




Check the temperature after you added each ingredients and warm up the batch with the Hair Dryer as needed.

After all ingredients are in the Wet Grinder you should not need the Hair Dryer anymore. It should take about 30 to 40 minutes to put all the ingredients in the Wet Grinder. Do not rush this too much or the ingredients will start to make a thick paste and bundle on each other instead of turning into a hot paste, if not hot enough your wet grinder will have trouble to turn it all into a hot liquid paste as it should be.

So as you see there is no need to warm the stones in the oven before you start your Batch, because by the time you will put them back in the Wet Grinder, they are going to cool down again. The best way is to warm them up where they are in the grinder with a Hair Dryer, and no need to warm up your NIBS either, just the melted Cocoa Butter and the Hair Dryer will get the heat going in the grinder.

For more details on How to figure out your Recipe, see my Recipe Page.

And Here Is The Video of Batch #5



At the end of the Video I put the Quiet Box cover on but I put it on backward and it only fits tight if I put the back side with the back side, it was quieter on the video anyway but it's much better when the cover is put in the right way.


Above is the Video of Batch # 5 after two hours in.


Above is the Video of Batch #5 after 24 Hours, Removing the Drum.

I will show more photos of the QUIET BOX and how to built it later on.

The Quiet Box is covered in the inside with a reflecting insulation that repels heat, so heat is not absorbed anywhere in the Box and has only one place to go, and it's out the back Fan.


The 2 reasons why I put the QUIET BOX near the drapes is so that the drapes absorb the noise coming out from the openings in the back of the Box, as the noise would bounce back out if it was a hard surface like a wall and the Box would not be as efficient to mute the sound of the Grinder. I also installed Two Fans in the back, one to vent the cool Air IN and the other Fan to vent the Hot Air OUT of the box so that the hot air from the Grinder and specially from the Motor will go out and not overheat the Batch, and also the Box is just a couple of feet from the window where cool air comes in to help to cool the inside of the Box when the cover is on.

So the Intake fan is on the Lower right side where cool air can come in and the output fan is on the Top Left and Higher so that Hot air in the to of the Box can be pulled out. This makes air circulate in a clockwise direction, the same direction as the Drum is turning, so the drum turns clockwise and so is the Air Flow in and out of the Quiet Box.

It works perfectly as expected. It is very silent and does not overheat. After many hours without the Fans the temperature of the batch was stable at 118.5º F and the Motor is stable at 104º F and with the Fans installed the Batch Temperature is stable at 114º F and the the Motor is Stable at 95.5º F

It could not get any better then this.


This video is after 10 1/2 hours of grinding in Batch # 2 - 2018-10-23

The wet grinder (also called the Melangeur) really grinds the nibs to liquid and friction in the grinder keep the chocolate Hot and Liquid and it is only after many hours that the nibs are down to less then 20 microns this is much smaller then what you tongue can feel so the chocolate will feel really smooth. The grinding process also permits the chocolate to aerate and this is like Conching it, but it is not quite the same process, it builds up the smoothness and refine the taste of the chocolate. A 24 hours minimum is preferable but you can let it run for 36 hours if you like. Just taste the chocolate from time to time and you will see the difference in texture and taste as time goes by, and when you are satisfied, the chocolate is ready to Temper and then to pour into your molds. Personally so far I only let it run for 18 hours at the most because I just can't sleep with this machine running, it is too noisy so I have built a quiet box that brings the noise level down to a nice low snoring cat noise, and it is now even pleasant to hear and it is very relaxing, before the noise made me want to jump out the window. I will show later how to make a quiet box and show some photos and videos about it.



(Another GREAT Discovery that I have just made).

I believed that in the CONCHING process, it is more the aeration itself that removes the Acidic and bitter taste from the Chocolate more then the melanging of the melted chocolate with heat and friction for days on end, because the Chocolate went trough that already in the Wet Grinder to reduce the particles below 20 microns. This is what they say about Conching on Google...........

(A conche is a surface scraping mixer and agitator that evenly distributes cocoa butter within chocolate, and may act as a "polisher" of the particles. It also promotes flavor development through frictional heat, release of volatile and acids, and oxidation. There are numerous designs of conches).

So My New Discovery AERATION IS THE KEY. No need to use a Conching machine to aerate the chocolate because I think that this is working the chocolate way too much and it removes the acidic and bitter taste alright, but it ALSO removes the rich flavors from the chocolate, so the Chocolate becomes Dulls because the Conching process removes the real taste out of it as well. I tasted chocolate that has been Conched and compare to mine, it taste DULL and without flavors but mine taste very RICH in flavors after I let it aerate even just for 4 hours, so all acidic and bitterness taste will be gone after just 1 day for sure. I prove this below.

table Conching by Aeration Conching by Aeration For this process right after I am done with the Wet Grinder I pour all the Chocolate on flat containers on a well leveled table and let it sit there for 4 Hours.

After the Chocolate has cooled down to 74º F and before it hardens too much I use a Pizza cutter to make marks and rows on the chocolate so that it will have more surface and this will help to aerate the chocolate from the bottom up and it will also be easier to break to re-melt it. This Passive Table Conching permits the Chocolate to Aerate the acidity and the bitterness out of it from all sides BY ITSELF. The Chocolate cakes must be thin but no less then 1/8" of an inch and not more them 1/2" inch. If too think the acid vapor will take too long to come out of the chocolate, and if too thin the chocolate will brake to millions pieces when you will want to put it back in the double burner to re-melt it. Just by pouring the materiel in the container and shaking it a bit from all sides the chocolate will spread evenly in the container. Do not worry about air bubbles at this stage. What we want to accomplish here is to let the Chocolate aerate by itself to let the release of volatile and acids, and oxidation take place. And the chocolate will bloom as a result, don't worry, this is what we want. The blooming is a signature that the release of volatile and acids and oxidation is done properly.

Bloomed Chocolate-1 Here is a photo of one of the Chocolate cake, you can easily see the Blooms on it, and it means that the Chocolate is aerating properly and that the Acid vapors are coming out of it. I had two Cakes of Chocolate and I wanted to experiment if it is better to put it in the fridge after 4 hours to seize it, or only the next day for a couple of minutes. This one after pouring it, I let it set on the table for 4 hours and then I put it in the fridge for 1 hour and then let it sit back on the table at room temperature but covered with aluminum foil until the next morning. This photo above was taken the next morning and I tasted both chocolate and the first one above that I had put in the fridge for one hour after it was on the table for 4 hours tasted much much much better. No acidic or bitterness remains at all. It is very smooth and the fruity taste comes out strong and beautifully.

Bloomed Chocolate-2 This one I did not put it in the fridge after 4 hours like the other one but only the next morning for only 10 minutes to harden it to make it easier to remove because it was still very soft and sticking to the pan and this is what happened. I tasted it and it still taste a bit bitter and the rich fruity taste does not comes out as strong as the other one above that I had put in the fridge for one hour.

So my conclusion is that it is much better after the first 4 hours on the table at room temperature to put it in the fridge for one hour to seize it and then take it out and cover it and let it rest till the next morning. Then and only then you can remelt it, Temper it and Pour it in the Molds. The acidic taste and bitterness will be all evaporated out of it. The Tempering help to keep the rich of the flavors of the Chocolate in.

If you temper a chocolate without having it Aerate like I do, then the Tempering will seal the acidic vapors in the chocolate and of course this is why it won't bloom either. So you MUST bloom the chocolate before the Tempering process can begin.

I suppose that the one hour in the fridge seized the chocolate like a shock to kick-start the blooming process, and that, it did. I could not put it in the fridge before only because the shelves in my fridge are not leveled and the chocolate would have dripped all over, so I waited for it to be set enough and after 4 hours it looked hard enough to be moved and put in the fridge on a slanted shelf, and it did not drip. Call it an unfortunate circumstance that lead to a great discovery if you want, but this is exactly what happened.

So the Chocolate after taking it out of the Wet Grinder, needs to rest for 4 hours and to have a shock treatment by putting it in the fridge for one hour to seize it and then take it out to room temperature, cover it with aluminum foil (but not air tight) and let it rest till next morning and then it is ready to be re-melted and Tempered and poured in the Molds. But maybe it is better to let it sit for two days before remelting it and temper it. It will have more tome to expell all the acidic vapors and oxidation out of it. No need to put it in a Conching machine anymore.

Second TABLE CONCHING BY AERATION AND HERE IS THE PROOF. Yesterday I was not quite satisfied with the taste so I remelted it again the next day and let it rest again on the table for 4 hours then 1 hour in the fridge then 2 hours out and then I took this photo just before remelting it to Temper it and to pour it in the molds. Looks like there was some left but that could be just humidity from the fridge, I am not sure. Now it realy taste like heaven.

That chocolate taste like nothing I have ever tasted before, it is the best chocolate in the world, it is DIVINE, there is nothing like it and there is no other words then that to express how good it taste.



This is the procedure that I will now take to Conche my chocolate because now I know how to AERATE the Chocolate without a bloody costly noisy CONCHING MACHINE and to make it bloom to release of volatile and acids, and oxidation out of it simply by letting it sit on a Table and let it rest for just 48 Hours instead of working it around in a Conching Machine for 4 to 5 days. It matures and expels it's gasses while it rest and not as much while you work it in a Conching machine. Try it you will see the difference, this method keep the great savors of the chocolate in the Chocolate and evaporates the acids and oxidations out by itself, as your Conching Machines do not evaporates as much acid and oxidation but expels everything else out of it too.

So now I will do two days of resting and remelting then temper it and mold it.



DOUBLE BURNER For this I use a Large bowl that I sit over a big pot that contains just enough water to create heat and vapor. The water must not touch the bowl that will contain the chocolate, it must melt at a medium-low temperature, you don't want to burn it as this will effect greatly the taste of the Chocolate.

RE-MELTING THE CHOCOLATE This process is called (Bain Marie) in French and in English I believe they call it a Double Boiler. Only the vapor under the bowl will be sufficient to melt the Chocolate. You must not rush this and stir the chocolate constantly.

MELTED CHOCOLATE After the Chocolate is all melted turn off the heat and remove the Bowl of Chocolate and put the Bowl on a cold surface, it is now time to prepare to do the One Bowl Tempering in the next step. At this point the chocolate could be as hot as 137º F. So let it sit on a cold surface to bring the temperature down to about 95º F before you put it in the cold water to start your Tempering. Stir it from time to time it will help to cool it down evenly. If you put in the cold water too soon it will warm your water too much and you will have to take it out and put new cold water in to do your tempering.



Step by step preparation for the One Bowl Tempering Hot-Bath.

Step-1 hot bath-step-1 First you will need a large enough Bowl to hold all your chocolate Batch in it, and the Bowl should be Heavy enough to sink in without anything in it. I use a thick pottery type bowl and it absorbs the cold and the heat very slowly, so this way you can't make any mistake because the temperature change very slowly and is more constant.

Step-2 hot bath-Step-2 Then you will need a larger bowl to have enough room to put water in it and to hold your bowl from step-1.

Step-3 Hot-bath-Step-3 You will need a large new garbage bag, put it on a flat surface and put your first Bowl in the CENTER of the garbage bag.

Step-4 Hot-Bath-Step-4 Now fold in the garbage bag into the bowl from all sides and all the way into the center of the bowl.

Step-5 Hot-Bath-Step-5 Now fill the Larger bowl with hot water of about to 150ºF and don't put too much water in, just a bit over the middle mark, you don't want the water to spill when you will put your other bowl in it.

Step-6 Hot-Bath-Step-6 Now put in your bowl with the garbage bag still folded into it and let it sit all the way to the bottom making sure that no water will spill.

Step-7 Hot-Bath-Step-7 Now you can carefully unfold the bag and wrap it tight all the way around and under the bowl if you can but don't pull on the slack that is in the bowl, the garbage bag must be loose and have enough slack to permit the water to be close to the bowl that will hold the chocolate. Your Hot Bath is ready. Take out the bowl and put it on a cold surface for now.

Step-8 Hot-Bath-Step-9 Now you are ready to pour in your Chocolate from the Double Burner in the pot you are going to use for your Tempering. When the chocolate has reached 95º F you can start your tempering by putting the pot in the cold bath. Don't put too much water in the cold bath, you don't want your bowl to float and no water too close to the edge either. You want the cold bath to be at about 60ºF to 62ºF and the ice cubes will help to keep it cool because the hot bowl that contains the hot chocolate will warm the water down and you don't want that, you want to cool down the chocolate, very slowly.

Step-9 Hot-Bath-Step-8 After the chocolate in the cold bath has gone down to 82º F take out the bowl and wipe it and put it in the Hot bath. If the garbage bag is close to the pot and well tugged close or under the larger bowl, it will stay hot for a long time. Stir the Chocolate once in a while every 5 minutes or so, to keep the chocolate in the center hot as well. You want to keep all your chocolate at an even temperature all over in the bowl not just on the sides. Let the chocolate come back up to between 88º F to 90º F and your tempering is done. Now just pour the chocolate in your molds.


* * * * * * *

This video below demonstrate the One Bowl Chocolate Tempering Technique. It is simple but it takes a bit more time then the two Bowl Technique.

If you where to do a two bowl technique first you pour 1/3 of the hot chocolate batch into a smaller bowl, and you keep the 2/3 of the Batch hot chocolate in the hot bath. While the chocolate in the hot bath stays warm you cool down the smaller bowl in a cold bath to 80ºF and then in the mean time you must have taken out the bigger bowl out of the hot bath to cool it down to about 95ºF because you will use it to bring up the temperature of the smaller bowl. Once the larger bowl is down to 95ºF and that your smaller bowl is down to 80ºF, then and only then that you can start to pour in some of the hotter chocolate from the larger bowl into the smaller bowl to warm it back up to 88ºF. After you have reached your 88ºF mark you have created enough type 5 crystals to seed them into the larger bowl, so after the smaller bowl has reached 88ºF you pour it into the larger bowl with the warmer chocolate that should be now down to about 92ºF. It is not an easy technique because if you over pour too much hotter chocolate into the smaller bowl, then you will go over the 92º F mark and you will have to bring it back down and start over again. If you don't pour in enough into the smaller bowl it will take for ever to bring it back up to 88ºF. So the two bowl technique is a balancing act and is very difficult to master and is more messy. I suggest you start with the one bowl technique that is much easier and you just can't miss your mark. It's down to 80ºF and back up to 87ºF and you are done and ready to pour into your molds.

So after taking the Chocolate of the Double Burner you want it to cool it down in a cold bath to 82ºF and you want to have your hot bath ready to reheat the Chocolate between 88ºF to 90ºF.


The tempering is done by bringing the temperature of the Chocolate slowly down to 82ºF and then to bring it back up slowly to 87º F for Milk Chocolate or to 88ºF to 90ºF for Dark Chocolate then it is ready to be poured into the molds.

The Tempering process help to creates type 5 Crystals and to eliminate types 1-2-3-4 Crystals by melting them. When you bring the temperature down to 82ºF you create all crystal types, 1 to 6. When you will bring the temperature back up to 87ºF or to 90ºF this will melt all the other crystals 1 to 4 and mostly the type 5 and type 6 will survive at that temperature. The type 5 Crystals are the ones that will harden the chocolate and give it that particular shiny look and the snap when you brake it.




This Video was done from Batch #6 I still had an overfill and made a mess. I suppose that one day I won't make those mistakes, but I know that I am getting better every time. I think that in this batch I created more air bubbles because of the way I was pouring the chocolate, it would have made a better job if I stayed in the middle of the Bar and guess the amount needed from there without moving around, this overlapping of rows of chocolate was just causing more air bubbles to form. Still learning.

Batch #5 in the Molds Bars from Batch # 5 just poured in the Molds.




If wrapped properly your Chocolate Bars can be Frozen and they will preserve as fresh as new for about 6 Months. When you take them out of the Freezer, just open the bar and leave it sit somewhere on a table at room temperature but away from Pets and Childrens, for one hour or two before you can eat them.



If you are to eat them withing a couple of Months they will preserve well wrapped and at room temperature at around 70ºF, Chocolate does not like to be too cold nor too warm either. Don't put them where the sun can touch them, they will melt for sure and they don't need to be put in the Fridge either.

Bars from Batch #4 Bars from Batch # 4 the 14Th of November 2018.

Bars from Batch #5 Bars from Batch # 5 the 23 of November 2018.



The only advise that I can give you here is, go easy, Chocolate can be hazardous to your Teeth. Hi hi hi ihiiiiiiiiiii.

Have a great Chocolate Day.........Ghislain Bonneau.